The 2013 Addiction Medicine Conference will focus on chronic pain, addiction and addiction medicine with information from physicians specializing in chronic pain, emergency medicine, and addiction medicine.
This workshop is designed for physicians. physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, social workers, alcohol and drug counselors and other health care professionals who care for patients with chronic pain and/or addiction issues.
This conference will provide current information on chronic pain, addiction, and addiction medicine.
Learning objectives are still being finalized, but may include:
- Identify and work with patients struggling with chronic pain and prescription drug abuse.
- Recognize the unique symptoms of substance abuse, chronic pain, and co-occurring disorders.
- Understand the neurophysiology of pain.
- Describe the basic pharmacology of medications used to treat chronic pain.
- Understand the benefits and precautions of opioid therapy in patients diagnosed with an addiction.
- Identify the key behavioral health issues affecting patients with psychiatric diagnoses.
- Identify and implement appropriate medical and non-medical treatment options for patients addicted to opioid medications.
Continuing Education Credit
Iowa Board of Certification and Social Work
This program is approved for 6.0 CEU for Iowa Substance Abuse Counselors, and complies with the requirements for 6.0 Continuing Education hours through the Iowa Board of Social Work Examiners.
Registration Deadline: March 26, 2012
Fee includes light breakfast, lunch, training hand-outs, and certificate of attendance.
Payment must be made in advance. We do not offer a "pay at the door" option because of the meals. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Call (712) 234-2330 with credit card information
- Fax credit card information to (712) 234-2398
- Send $60 check payable to:
Jackson Recovery Centers
Attn: Training Department
800 5th Street, Suite 200
Sioux City, IA 51101
No cash refunds will be given. Registrants who cannot attend may contact Jackson Recovery Centers to request credit for a future training.
8:15 a.m. - Registration and Refreshments
8:35 a.m. - Introduction - Kermit Dahlen, CEO, Jackson Recovery Centers
8:45 a.m. - The Rational Use of Narcotics - Dr. Jeremy Poulsen, DO., Anesthesiologist, Siouxland Anesthesia Interventional Pain Physician, Dunes Anesthesia
9:45 a.m. - Regulatory Climate, Kentucky Experience - Dr. Greg Jones, MD, Medical Director, Kentucky Physicians Foundation
10:45 a.m. - Break
11 a.m. - Cognitive Error and Opiods - Dr. Tom Benzoni, DO, Medical Director, Mercy Air Care Staff Physician, Emergency Department
11:45 a.m. - Methadone Maintenance Treatment - Dr. David Wolfe, MD - Private Practice, Physician Medical Director, Siouxland Treatment Center
12:30 p.m. - Lunch
1:15 p.m. - Balancing Pain, Substance Abuse and Suboxone in a General Medicine Practice - Dr. Thor Swanson, MD, Co-Medical Director, Siouxland Community Health Center
2:00 p.m. - Chronic Pain Treatment without Addictive Substances - Dr. Greg Jones, MD, Medical Director, Kentucky Physicians Foundation
3:00 p.m. - Panel of all Presenters
4:00 p.m. - Conclusion, Evaluations and Certifications
Please dress in layers. Personal preferences vary and room temperatures may fluctuate.